WaterPolo

Community Staff Complaint

NRP Username: WaterPolo
GUID: 899758
Are you reporting  player or an admin: Head of Community Staff
Who are you reporting: Alfie Solomon (Duke)
Date and time: December 2nd 2018
Reason: Blatant abuse of HOCS /CS powers. He has shown nothing but disregard for the Admin Staff who are the backbone of our community. Has already forced one Admin to quit and leave NRP (Florian) and was very close to having me do the same. He talks down to everyone, and demands things from his CS in an extremely unprofessional manner by hurling insults and muting when they disagree.

Evidence: Most of the Evidence was deleted because right after Duke muted me twice today, both times he used bot to delete conversation right afterwards. I did screenshot after he muted me the first time though, and it's attached. 

Duke had a complete fit about a comment Wilhelm made to him yesterday, and just "Went on holiday" one hour before the event. Wilhelm then proceeded to ask Duke questions about what maps to use, and Duke flat out said he wasn't going to help. This is what got me removed from CS, because I defended Wilhelm, and told Duke he was being a baby. 

I request Duke's immediate resignation or removal of HOCS because this community can not afford someone who is so emotional that they would just quit everything we worked together on as a team within an hour of the event, and offer no help to the people who had to run it in his place. (Wilhelm ran the Campaign, and did a fine job, proving it can be done easily by someone else)

279CFEC0-D216-4B02-B966-525F4847D455.jpeg

what a absolute waste of time

You were warned and continued going on ,the fact that you come here proves that, along with that screenshot which is evidence - you were muted for toxicity and insubordination, something you forgot to screenshot.

Furthermore Florian quit of his own accord and after we solved our dispute he told me he'd been wanting to quit for a while.

You were removed from CS because you were useless , and i dont need people who obstruct progress to "work" with us.

We're not a professional team, we work for the benefit of our community on a game  proffesionalism isn't necessary or atleast not to the level you dream of (which you fail to attain by going on and on)

I already had warned all of you i had exams this week and needed a break from my tasks so when Wilhelm made a particularly rude comment , yes I went on a break - 2 hours before the event and Wilhelm agreed saying he was fine managing what he had to do when i was away - there's more to life than NRP.

"proving easily it can done by somebody else" except i didn't fully go because i still had plenty to do movewise which without the campaign would not have happened, just like the hours i invested to theorising in the campaign dev channel without your help.

The person who got emotional here is clearly you , who continue as if this were some blood feud.

Removal? :D sure thing let me just kill the server :nwdab: resignation? No - blackmail does not work here i will resign when im burnt out which is likely soon - happy now?

So you closed this complaint on your own, without allowing others to chime in, that is pretty scummy, what you did on Saturday was pretty scummy as well, that is going on a figurative "holiday" over the weekend so try and prove a point that you are necessary and that the server NEEDS you, obviously the campaign went completely fine without you because being head of campaign really isn't that difficult, it is not nearly as stressful as you like to make it out to be, like it or not, but honestly you are not incredibly needed, its not like there is nobody that could step in as head of comm staff or head of campaign, and calling polo "the emotional one", when you just admitted that the reason for you going on break was catalysed by a "particularly rude comment" makes it seem like you are the overemotional oversensitive little bitch. It is also pretty shallow of you to not recognise that while other factors were involved you were a driving force in Florian leaving. Also using the excuse of "muted for toxicity" is basically you just admitting that you didn't like what he was saying so you muted him, its not like he spammed, no rules were broken, the "toxicity" rule is used solely on people of greek nationality anyway. Finally, you saying that your removal would "kill the server" is incredibly narcissistic and also very very wrong, the server did fine without you, and it can do fine without you again, thinking you are somehow on a higher plain of existence because you picked some maps and gave some people comm staff ranks is pretty retarded.

This post is split in 2.
First: What a Head of Community Staff should be doing
Second: "If I do leave NRP will die"

So, first of all:

Spoiler

The only real duties of a Head of Anything when it comes to NRP is ideally to make sure the rest of the staff are doing stuff when they need to be. 
I think some people make the mistake of looking at how I did things when trying to judge how to run something, forgetting that when I was HA one of the first things I did was unfuck the bloated mess that NRP was by de-whitelisting everyone and starting fresh.

When I made the Community Staff the idea was to allow them to focus on the discord (and later, the forum) aspect of things to stop the server admins getting too overworked/overloaded. The first Head of Community Staff-our much beloved Cinnaman-did a lot of great work and is one of the primary reason the wider community was such a success but more importantly he helped establish what all comstaff should really do.

From what I've seen, a lot of the trouble regarding community staff has been their appointment to run the campaign. I understand the campaign can seem like a thundering bloated mess to try and run, but I think lots of people overthink it. All that is really required is someone to oversee what moves people make, and then someone to host events. Bulletmagnet does a great job of adding lore and immersion to it. I don't know the specifics of who does what but from what I can see people do get punished for breaking community rules and the forum is kept tidy where it needs to be.

This is what confuses me-where does this stress and mass muting come from? I get that there are disputes between people-I myself used to mute and ban @WaterPolo (love u) constantly every couple of weeks every time he and I had a fallout, but this was often when I was at work and feared that things would erupt into more drama if I wasn't there to counter anything he said-quite literally just damage control because I was too lazy to wait till I was home to fix it. But that was at a time when I was Head of Everything. You are the Head of the Community staff-aka, you're the one put at the head of all things Community.
Nobody should be muted from NRP unless they break a rule. Calling someone a spineless, gormless, utterly useless and pointless cunt is not a breach of the NRP rules and never has been.

If someone annoys you as HoCS, you don't just retaliate. If someone disagrees STRONGLY with something you do, you're supposed to open a dialogue with them to explain your actions-ESPECIALLY if its a member of staff (and a very longstanding one.)
99% of these issues are all solved incredibly easy, but the one way to make sure they never get solved is trying to strongarm your way of doing things.

Second of all:

Spoiler

You leaving isn't going to kill the server. It isn't going to kill  the discord. It isn't even going to kill the campaign. That isn't a dare for you to leave, but I want you to consider something.
How many times have people chuckled about "NRP dying"? If we put the beginning of our counter at when I initially retired back in 2017, people have said NRP has "died" about 4 times. In reality, it springs back every single time.
Each time it springs back with a little less gusto, largely due to factors far beyond our control. The main reason I came up with the campaign is for a hope to give people an incentive to come back and keep engaging with NRP-this also worked thanks to the tireless work of the people who made it a reality.
In short, the only thing that can "kill" NRP even temporarily is usually the very sudden departure of someone who does most of the work and overhead. One arguably example is the departure of myself as HA, or the departure of several important admins at once in 2017 due to turmoil within the team.

The entire point of NRP's admin team is delegation, delegation, delegation. The whole point is that no single person suddenly leaving will have such a devastating impact that people can't fill in or bounce back. The point of the discord, the forums, of all this is to make sure that NRP continues regardless of what faggotry happens within the admin team.

To clarify, this is not a dare for you to leave the team or encouragement for you to do so. I'm not diminishing any hard work you do or denying you have done it. My very, very simple point here is that the second you start using "NRP Dying" as leverage for yourself, you have proven irreversibly that you have absolutely no leg to stand on AND that you hugely underestimate the sheer loving autism that those who adore NRP have.
When NRP dies it'll be because there is nothing that can be done. It won't be because an increasingly unpopular "head of the guys who keep the forum and discord tidy" muted one too many people and left.

I don't know enough about this whole shitstorm to really weigh in but realistically it seems like yet another massive mess that could have been easily sorted by a brief and honest dialogue.

smh

14 hours ago, DukeOfWellington said:

Even though i've already said it on discord to waterpolo - could have handled this alot better on my part , sorry.

Hopefully this thread cleared the air a bit more. If you do not continue your quest to quit as Head of Community Staff it would be advisable to stop muting people when arguing with them and be the bigger person and ignore them. This I advised you to do with Florian but you found it difficult.  If you have disputes with other staff they should be dealt with cordially and wholesale avoidance of slogging insults at one another. Having you removed is an overstep but I am hopeful you have learned from this experience and will avoid unnecessary mutes in future. 

Scandy is correct that you should try to delegate as trying to do too much leads to quick burnout. The apologies you have given are sufficient enough to avoid any action taken being taken so this thread can be concluded. And maybe Polo will get what he desires if you do decide to quit.