Campaign Project: Development Thread

Scandypandy

Scandypandy

I have been planning for quite some time to host a form of "Campaign"-in simple terms, a Tournament with a dedicated narrative and progression system.

The basics are:
-2 or 3 factions
-A set map
-A system by which the map can be conquered by each faction
-A majority of players will fight for whatever faction they choose however regiments can declare their support for one throughout a campaign
-A continous storyline and "characters" of regular NRP players

Sounds complicated, but could honestly just be done via a few maps of battle RP and some quickly slung together customs.

To show what I mean by maps, see these images:

IMAGE 1: An Example of a Map and the Factions
IMAGE 2: An Example of how we could crave the map up into states or territories for players to colour in as a faction wins a map
IMAGE 3: An Example of what a map might look like mid campaign

Example1.png.714ed1d462b9a0177603b22d84dc250f.pngexample2.png.16f343f2f101cc04b7f9c02ea27b1707.pngexample3.png.e441af7b2665505626ac362177aa0532.png

For all it is it'd be incredible easy to do, since all we need for most of it are random maps or some quickly made "countryside" maps. 
Fights for a Faction's cities could be done using city maps-even edited ones-and generally I'd say it's very doable with some preparation.

Either way, I'm going to leave this here for everyone to brainstorm over. Feel free to contribute anything you think would be helpful!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scandypandy

• Pew Pew You're Dead

• Gio

• SacrificialLamb

[59th] Darkslayer

This idea looks really amazing. a Campaign is what I think was needed to Make NRP that cherry on the cake. Hope other supports this as well. Nice art as well Scandy. 

Scandypandy

It's doable but just needs good planning.
The Faction Planning will need each to have a cool name and "culture", aka something the players can shitpost at one another.

For example, the Kingdom Of Nobo screeching about how the Free State of Scand is rightful Nobo clay, or whatever.
We can give each faction a culture, a story, a "trait" (like for example, Free State of Z doesn't surrender when capital falls but rather when only 3 states are unoccupied, or whatever)

Again, with planning it's totally doable with a server that regularly hits 150+.
Half the time people will just join and duke it out even if they don't know what's happening.

cinnaman348

For the 2 or 3 factions, would it be the same unit to represent people as a faction? Like Frei, bayern, and Vistule to represent 3 factions, slay those that aren't one of the approved factions, and just turn team damage up after they get to their areas? It would be like battle rp, but just moving spawns around after the initial spawn in for the two teams with peace on? 

I think it would be cool to have elements of them trying to roleplay without admins help. Since we would just slay rambos, make them not delay, and really punish teamhitting if team damage is all the way up for the different units of the same team being enemies. I have played servers where somebody on each team tries to "rendezvous" and talk, and one leader dies and starts a war kinda thing. Is that what the storyline would be like? Map 1 Tax_Collector kills Lexxe in a 1v1, and then like Map 2 Lexxe's men are at war because he got shit on by Tax_Collector so he wants to kill his men? That would be admin guiding I suppose.  We could make it not take a lot of time like on those servers, and have it be an element of roleplay with laughs of people memeing. 

I have people ask me all the time "is there an event soon" and I tell them "everyday is kinda an event with the roleplays we do". I think events like this and the Waterloo Re-enactment events is something cool that a lot of NRP that aren't in regiments don't get to experience like that, and get to do it with people they all know.

This sum good roleplaying project. I've seen the conquer map system before in PlanetSide 2 and most recent in Foxhole, and it's very immersive. I guess it could take place during a longer period and not just be a one day thing. Personally, I see no point in trying to force players to be tied to specific teams over the rounds, but rather put weight on the thought of the victory having a larger purpose, meaning players will become loyal to their factions no matter whether it's enforced or not. Although, some players will always try to join the winning team. I'd suggest making a forum poll or google form in case you'd like to try to tie players to specific factions, eg potential ''leaders'' of those factions, and to see which of the factions the players most likely want to join whether it be cuz coolest backstory or cuz of the representative in-game faction.

campaign.thumb.png.f343b9980af5322d1850b4a980bda7b9.png

Wardens versus Colonials fight over the total control of the world one part at a time in Foxhole.

Scandypandy

My thinking is individual players (aka, rank and file fags) will be impossible to make "loyal" without balance issues; they'll probably more be loyal to the team they fight for on the smaller scale of winning the map.

I'm thinking characters, however. Made from trusted server players. Characters would be:
-A Leader of Each Faction (mostly narrative purposes, would fill an officer or general role; if killed they are "injured" narratively)
-Emergent leaders may become characters over time

Basically, could be as simple as having people change names or w/e if they have to play a leader or something. For narrative/roleplay stuff.

Otherwise we just do battle RP with a narrative and maybe some effects based on factions.
Like idk, the British one could be so loyal to their leader that if Welly dies they can't deal damage out of panic for 1 minute or something. Finding balance is hard but again, I guess it's part of the fun.
Most wouldn't know what's going on if they just showed up but if enough did there's a real opportunity.

I'm thinking we could get away with 3 factions. UK based one for brits and pro-brits, France for everything else, Russian for memers. Maybe Russian faction has a trait of "desperate defence" or w/e which gives them extra buildpoints. Who knows!

[59th] Darkslayer

No but if we do this campaign rp, the is more factors we will need to take in.

Like will we have diplomats? People that can discuss for peace with a faction or "Borrow" Some troops or even ask for peace and war.

Civs these people could provide resources to armies. I.E. soldiers. 

And a strict guideline for people to use? 

Pew Pew You're Dead

also i can do some writing because i indeed am a writefag  

t. level 9 english language when i started again half way through the exam 

t. level 8 english lit

Scandypandy

Don't even really need much done custom map wise.
If anything we just need ones for capital cities, the rest can easily be done using randoms or easy to make slightly edited randoms.

No need to bloat the workload here. It's going to be a series of battles in countrysides and landscapes and then battles for cities.

SacrificialLamb

Will we be reserving officer slots for the faction leaders and their ‘generals / characters’? Think it d be really cool to have faction leaders try to recruit regulars and choose who the officers on their teams are. Might be slightly difficult to enforce tho. Like in addition to us shilling the event, faction leaders could also be trying to make sure certain regulars turn up to command / be placed in certain units.

[59th] Darkslayer
4 hours ago, SacrificialLamb said:

Will we be reserving officer slots for the faction leaders and their ‘generals / characters’? Think it d be really cool to have faction leaders try to recruit regulars and choose who the officers on their teams are. Might be slightly difficult to enforce tho. Like in addition to us shilling the event, faction leaders could also be trying to make sure certain regulars turn up to command / be placed in certain units.

But in this game mode. Could we make it also where if the commander dies, the whole army could retreat. This could be used for extra realism. And a new commander would be used.

Scandypandy

Nah, things that absolutely fuck a whole round relying on someone not dying are too much. It should feel as much like normal battle RP as possible.

Cool video gamey functions aren't actually enjoyable in many cases when it's 200 players all trying to have fun. The players are not toys, we can't just push them around like it's a board game.

Pew Pew You're Dead
34 minutes ago, ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪ said:

Cool video gamey functions aren't actually enjoyable in many cases when it's 200 players all trying to have fun. The players are not toys, we can't just push them around like it's a board game.

i was gonna point this out but i thought id get yelled at desu

how are u gonna do the fuckin factions cos people will be changing sides every 2 minutes yea

Scandypandy

Well like I said, a majority of players won't know/care and will just join a team and play away. For the first "campaign" it'll likely be whoever's interested keeping track and the rest will just see it as an odd battle RP.

The only people we need to put on certain teams are the characters or leaders. Other than it's literally;
-Designated player or whatever picks where to attack
-Battle happens
-It is either coloured in on the map if they win or not coloured in if they lose
-Next playersturn
-First to conquer capitals wins

To everyone else it's just battles with some added RP, to those involved it's fighting in a campaign. Creating the Factions just adds a bit of fun and immersion/something for people to shitpost at one another about.
We could even shill it to regiments as a way to get members by making them always choose a certain side where possible.

Scandypandy
Just now, SacrificialLamb said:

Is the no with regards to darks post or mine as well?

To Darks. Officer slots being reserved can happen for sure, maybe not with every battle but at least for some. Again if we work with regiments to push up numbers and fun then obviously lines/slots will be reserved.
In the 5-10 minutes leading up to a battle we'll get a map, the lines and everyone ready then set a time to start, just like an event.

Scandypandy
1 minute ago, Pew Pew You're Dead said:

btw can u spell sergeant right please

sergent looks retarded

nd corporal 

writing here cos only admins can view owo @Ewoksson

It is spelled correctly. The ranks are french military ranks.

Y'know. Because napoleonic

Pew Pew You're Dead
1 minute ago, ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪ said:

It is spelled correctly. The ranks are french military ranks.

Y'know. Because napoleonic

mais c'est un whatever the fuck server is in french anglais

You could organise it as an event and put a password on the server. Then send out announcements on which team you can take part in and give some info or stories etc and the chosen leaders and players will communicate on teamspeak making the event more organised. This campaign won't work if normal players don't play along. It has a story, if not everyone knows about it it's worthless.

Last time we organised the last NRP event before moving on to Holdfast. The server was dead but at the time of the event the server was full. We could do that again. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You could also make a live map or something on the forums which will be changed by someone when factions conquer areas.

2 hours ago, Gio said:

You could organise it as an event and put a password on the server. Then send out announcements on which team you can take part in and give some info or stories etc and the chosen leaders and players will communicate on teamspeak making the event more organised. This campaign won't work if normal players don't play along. It has a story, if not everyone knows about it it's worthless.

Last time we organised the last NRP event before moving on to Holdfast. The server was dead but at the time of the event the server was full. We could do that again. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You could also make a live map or something on the forums which will be changed by someone when factions conquer areas.

It wouldn't really stop bad behavior to have the server password protected. Players could receive the password, and still choose wrong team on purpose. It would benefit being a first come, first served-basis if it gains popularity well above 200 players since it would force concentration on having everyone, except leaders on the correct sides. It would take up too much time, tire players out and so on. It would also be unfortunate to lock out a majority of potential players and it ends up being 20 - 50 players on the server.

As for the play-along. The scenario would probably still be heavily scripted. Leaders should apply for their roles and talk to one another about their strategy for each battle. Admins will assist by announcing their tactics well in-game, and continuously slay rambos, trolls, etc. Public players will be forced to play along, if they don't do it voluntarily.

I can see issue somewhat solved by having the players use unique tags in their names depending on their faction before they join a side, which in turn makes it a lot easier for both players and admins to easily see which players doesn't abide by the rules. Still, players may easily exit the game, switch to the other factions tags, rejoin and disappear into the crowd. In that case I'm all for using a server password.

Livemaps would be a nice addition for sure, it could be a map changing simply using liner in paint, or by using websites made to edit border of real maps or fictional maps.

8 hours ago, Ewoksson said:

It wouldn't really stop bad behavior to have the server password protected. Players could receive the password, and still choose wrong team on purpose. It would benefit being a first come, first served-basis if it gains popularity well above 200 players since it would force concentration on having everyone, except leaders on the correct sides. It would take up too much time, tire players out and so on. It would also be unfortunate to lock out a majority of potential players and it ends up being 20 - 50 players on the server.

As for the play-along. The scenario would probably still be heavily scripted. Leaders should apply for their roles and talk to one another about their strategy for each battle. Admins will assist by announcing their tactics well in-game, and continuously slay rambos, trolls, etc. Public players will be forced to play along, if they don't do it voluntarily.

I can see issue somewhat solved by having the players use unique tags in their names depending on their faction before they join a side, which in turn makes it a lot easier for both players and admins to easily see which players doesn't abide by the rules. Still, players may easily exit the game, switch to the other factions tags, rejoin and disappear into the crowd. In that case I'm all for using a server password.

Livemaps would be a nice addition for sure, it could be a map changing simply using liner in paint, or by using websites made to edit border of real maps or fictional maps.

I don't think players would join another team on purpose. It's like regimental line battles. They'll get a pass, their own tag and on teamspeak all the way to troll? Most people will be proud of the team they chose too. We have to make some good background stories about both teams. Then they will definitely stick to the team they like.

It would even be worthless because the leaders use teamspeak and the trolls will be left out because they can't get really communicate with them. Here and then people will troll but that depends on if it's a good leader who commands them well and the players are dedicated. They'll also know who is who and if there's a problem we're there.

This is a special event which is rare and most people will be there to enjoy it. There are videos on youtube and it works.

All we have to do is a big and attractive announcement for everyone to be taken seriously. 

If this would still be a problem, we could let all players use their unique number in their names from 1 to 100. We'll get 2 lists of all players in the 2 teams with their own numbers and we could find every troll there is.

For Example:

1_KingdomOfGio_Gio

IMG-20171231-WA0001.jpg

Pew Pew You're Dead

why do u even need players to be always on the same team though

doesn't that just over complicate it for a 4 year old shitposting server on a dead game