Campaign Project: Development Thread

Scandypandy

Scandypandy

To put it more elegantly than (((pew))) @Gio , enforcing players to wear tags or whatever simply wouldn't work. The logistics of it aren't possible, and trying to strongarm them will just make people leave or not want to take part.

Again, this (at least for now) is basically going to seem like BATTLE RP to a massive majority of those playing, with added narration from admins and the presence of some reserved officer slots.
It has to be as easy to do as possible. The more complex elements that are present, the quicker it fucking tanks.

Right now, it's going to be BATTLE RP which affects a continous ms paint map that we colour in when teams beat other teams until one wins, with characters and narration.
Bloating it up will kill it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scandypandy

• Pew Pew You're Dead

• Gio

• SacrificialLamb

34 minutes ago, ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪ said:

To put it more elegantly than (((pew))) @Gio , enforcing players to wear tags or whatever simply wouldn't work. The logistics of it aren't possible, and trying to strongarm them will just make people leave or not want to take part.

Again, this (at least for now) is basically going to seem like BATTLE RP to a massive majority of those playing, with added narration from admins and the presence of some reserved officer slots.
It has to be as easy to do as possible. The more complex elements that are present, the quicker it fucking tanks.

Right now, it's going to be BATTLE RP which affects a continous ms paint map that we colour in when teams beat other teams until one wins, with characters and narration.
Bloating it up will kill it.

In that case switching teams won't really matter just like in Battle RP, some people will switch sides but it won't really affect the others from having fun. We will take care of trolls.

8 hours ago, Gio said:

I don't think players would join another team on purpose. It's like regimental line battles. They'll get a pass, their own tag and on teamspeak all the way to troll? Most people will be proud of the team they chose too. We have to make some good background stories about both teams. Then they will definitely stick to the team they like.

It would even be worthless because the leaders use teamspeak and the trolls will be left out because they can't get really communicate with them. Here and then people will troll but that depends on if it's a good leader who commands them well and the players are dedicated. They'll also know who is who and if there's a problem we're there.

This is a special event which is rare and most people will be there to enjoy it. There are videos on youtube and it works.

All we have to do is a big and attractive announcement for everyone to be taken seriously. 

If this would still be a problem, we could let all players use their unique number in their names from 1 to 100. We'll get 2 lists of all players in the 2 teams with their own numbers and we could find every troll there is.

For Example:

1_KingdomOfGio_Gio

Exactly what I said; tags are necessary if you want to smoothly administer 200+ players if they all are gonna tied to certain factions. I never said it was impossible without tags either, but that it would be a pain to check so that everyone, not only leaders, are in the correct factions upon joining the server. Then again, players can lie about their faction on their tags and it would still require active check-ups by admins. ''Trolls won't troll if we show it's a serious event''. Trolls would actually see the event as something extra spicy then. It would be ignorant to think the NW community not having its flaws and it being entirely p u r e. Trolls can be banned, but let's not give them a lot of free-roaming.

As for communication. It can be solved like the seasonal events are arranged. Admins announce in admin chat what the officers orders, and obviously there's in-game team chat available. It's not impossible to invite everyone, whether it's pw-protected or not into Discord and let them talk there.

I consider this out of a pessimistic view. It's not sure everyone is so happy about spending time doing paperwork to join the event. Do we really need to use a super retarded hardcore role-playing setup, like closed regimental events? Even when we time after time prove that our admins can handle public / not password protected line battles and seasonal events just as good? It would be unfortunate if we got regular players, which aren't members of the discord, our forums or the steam group missing the sign up is all I'm saying. Solution would yet again be to let them sign up from a month before the event to make sure no-one miss the calls, but even then it would be problematic since you never 100% sure what you'll be busy doing in one month time.

But w/e, Scandy basically said all this already in the post before. Let's not heavily restrict the event all whilst the NW community is dying.

Scandypandy

Well one of the first things we should hammer out are the factions and the narrative.
It'd be a bit dull to just say "it's UK vs France" but I think applying our own narrative to the factions-and the "island" they fight on will be part of the potential for longevity.

Maybe some colonists and prisoners all crash landed on this mysterious island in the Bermuda or whatever the fuck, and because of spooky weirdness they couldn't escape and thus formed their own colonies and settlements and from these the factions were born. UK could represent a monarchy-favouring one while France could favour a Republic and russia could be the meme faction.
It wouldn't be too hard to spin a good story into them and the island itself and it means people can align easily enough.

Pew Pew You're Dead
30 minutes ago, ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪ said:

Well one of the first things we should hammer out are the factions and the narrative.
It'd be a bit dull to just say "it's UK vs France" but I think applying our own narrative to the factions-and the "island" they fight on will be part of the potential for longevity.

Maybe some colonists and prisoners all crash landed on this mysterious island in the Bermuda or whatever the fuck, and because of spooky weirdness they couldn't escape and thus formed their own colonies and settlements and from these the factions were born. UK could represent a monarchy-favouring one while France could favour a Republic and russia could be the meme faction.
It wouldn't be too hard to spin a good story into them and the island itself and it means people can align easily enough.

that sounds gay

any reason why it can't just be like napoleon total war with Europe campaign map and each nation being a european power?

u could have truces n shit n alliences n shit n DEMOCRACY

Scandypandy

Because that's been done a thousand fucking times.
We do that, we're both going to have things made harder for us and limit our potential.
We base it on that actual conflict with real world locations and we have to give a shit about all the finnicky details that come with that.

We make our own thing, with our own narrative and our own general identity then it'll stand out. 
>truces and alliances and shit and DEMOCRACY
But that isn't what we're doing; we're doing campaigns with a definitive winner and losers. The only thing that decides anything outside of the battles is the narrative we write.

The main concerns are:
-how we'll make it work serverside
-what the narrative will be

Making it just another real-world Napoleonic Campaign is fucking boring imo

5 hours ago, Ewoksson said:

Exactly what I said; tags are necessary if you want to smoothly administer 200+ players if they all are gonna tied to certain factions. I never said it was impossible without tags either, but that it would be a pain to check so that everyone, not only leaders, are in the correct factions upon joining the server. Then again, players can lie about their faction on their tags and it would still require active check-ups by admins. ''Trolls won't troll if we show it's a serious event''. Trolls would actually see the event as something extra spicy then. It would be ignorant to think the NW community not having its flaws and it being entirely p u r e. Trolls can be banned, but let's not give them a lot of free-roaming.

As for communication. It can be solved like the seasonal events are arranged. Admins announce in admin chat what the officers orders, and obviously there's in-game team chat available. It's not impossible to invite everyone, whether it's pw-protected or not into Discord and let them talk there.

I consider this out of a pessimistic view. It's not sure everyone is so happy about spending time doing paperwork to join the event. Do we really need to use a super retarded hardcore role-playing setup, like closed regimental events? Even when we time after time prove that our admins can handle public / not password protected line battles and seasonal events just as good? It would be unfortunate if we got regular players, which aren't members of the discord, our forums or the steam group missing the sign up is all I'm saying. Solution would yet again be to let them sign up from a month before the event to make sure no-one miss the calls, but even then it would be problematic since you never 100% sure what you'll be busy doing in one month time.

But w/e, Scandy basically said all this already in the post before. Let's not heavily restrict the event all whilst the NW community is dying.

There are many ways to troll and many trolls will do it to be funny and seek attention without getting banned because most of them are veteran players. Joining the opposite faction and ruin it for the others to get banned isn't one of them. Most of our players troll to have their way of fun in a safe way. Many known players will join the event like any other day they play on the server. 

We could add something that restricts changing from team or something. Players would have to leave the game and join back but their score will be reset discourageing them to do it again.

But even switching to another team can be fun, that means someone else can join the previous team and people get to try out both sides which is fun. Not that many people will do so, I would love to   ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

So what about army moments should we have actual (armies) marching province to province and to repel an attack you need to have your army located at that position. Or are we going to have armies everywhere, For example you can attack any province on your borders and there will always be a defending army?

Should we have naval/fleets yes or no and why?

If you lose your capital do, you lose the game or will you continue fighting? And if you lose when you have lost your capital, how will we handle if we have three factions, Red, Cyan and green, what happens if Red and Cyan gang up on green and rush him out of the game early.

I would recommend having victory points like you have in hearts of iron and the one with most victory points/score wins the game and I would recommend having a timer on the campaign so it doesn't go on forever.

+ You could check this link to see how the holdfast community is doing it http://www.holdfastgame.com/forum/index.php?topic=3125.0

[59th] Darkslayer

And then. If people are on Let's say team 1. And are meant to fight for them. What if they swapped for the winning side team 2. And basically just stay with them. We won't know what team every player will be on do we? It will be hard for admins to even run this let alone making sure people are in factions. 

4 hours ago, [59th] Darkslayer said:

And then. If people are on Let's say team 1. And are meant to fight for them. What if they swapped for the winning side team 2. And basically just stay with them. We won't know what team every player will be on do we? It will be hard for admins to even run this let alone making sure people are in factions. 

There is no reward if you win the game, just like normally. Have you ever seen someone switch to the winning team on Battle RP at the end to be a winner?

The teams will be balanced too, it'll be hard to switch to the opposite team anyway. Even if you could, thete's no reason to, as long as it's fun.

Scandypandy

Ignoring the Holdfast thing because apples and oranges. Can't properly implement things with different army sizes because of balance. Nor is there any real effective way to control what team people play on.
We could do a progression system, whereby players enter as a character and if they do X while using that characters name for the faction they sign under they could maybe be given an award? Maybe a "NRP War Vet" medal or w/e?
Maybe make it so that they can progress into characters built into the narrative?

Could be a compromise between inevitable confused randoms and passionate campaign players.

SacrificialLamb

It d be good to have scandy do like a JB Civil War Ballad story thingy with updates after each battle posted. Heck each battle summary could even be put into a meme wikipedia summary thingy like he JB CW did. The consequences of what each character does in the actual event could then be reflected in that story.

I also feel like trying to convince characters to stay with their teams should be the job of the faction leaders rather than the admins.

And anyways so what if they swapped sides? Scandy could write that into his story like ‘treacherous backstabbing cancerous cunt Cinnaman then proceded to backstab his leader peaceful inspirational loyal lovable lamb, switching sides after the 2nd phase (round) of the battle.’

Pew Pew You're Dead
36 minutes ago, SacrificialLamb said:

‘treacherous backstabbing cancerous cunt Cinnaman then proceded to backstab his leader

using backstabbing as an adjective and a verb is redundant and you should feel bad

also no that sounds gay

Scandypandy

I think in regards to players they should-for now-have total free choice over what team they want to join, and only those who "register" for it or who are premade characters for the narrative will have to stick to certain ones.

What sort of Scale will we operate on? Aka how can we stop it dragging on too long?

11 hours ago, ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪ said:

I think in regards to players they should-for now-have total free choice over what team they want to join, and only those who "register" for it or who are premade characters for the narrative will have to stick to certain ones.

What sort of Scale will we operate on? Aka how can we stop it dragging on too long?

P.S. Gio you're awesome, I'm gay.

By putting a time limit. Then we'll see which team conquered the most territory and wins.

We could do some extra rping by executing the losers with a firing line, burning them, throw them all from a building, etc.

Thanks for the compliment by the way, I appreciate it.

Scandypandy

I didn't mean the rounds, I meant the campaign. Is a time limit really the best way? Objective based endings might be better, even narrative based ones.

17 hours ago, ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪ said:

I didn't mean the rounds, I meant the campaign. Is a time limit really the best way? Objective based endings might be better, even narrative based ones.

But if the teams are unbalanced the objectives might get completed too soon ending the event. It depends on how big the map is though.

Scandypandy

Well I'm going to start leaking """"development"""" updates to the plebs to drum up some hype for it.
Easiest thing to leak are the Factions, so here's an example of one we could do to be represented by UK:

The Crown Colonies

735fe51e089930a6c871466828e0030f.thumb.png.1ec964bcd00aa81a296fd31e63ccee66.png

Description:
The Crown Colonies represent the only group to reach the Island on purpose; a huge fleet intended not only to land and settle the island but also ward off interfering French ships made landfall before anyone else. Much to their dismay, the odd nature of the Island's climate and surrounding waters made contact with Britain or departure from the Island somewhat impossible.
This resulted in settlers looking inland rather than homeward for a potential future, and before long the British Colonies covered huge swathes of the land. However, the various colonies proved to be an administrative nightmare for those originally charged with the management of the Colony; before long disputes over land and resources began to stoke tensions between the various larger towns and settlements.
Just when it seemed conflict was about to erupt, the leaders of the various settlements were brought together by the news that the French had made landfall to the east of their position, making their own attempts to colonise the island.
With no way to immediately dispel the foreign threat, the various Colonies decided to do what Britain is best known for; they united their people against a common enemy under one banner.
Thus, the Crown Colonies were born, lead by the most influential Colonial Mayors and swearing to expand their territory and influence over the entirety of the Island.

Mechanics:
Easy enough to do since we don't technically need to designate a "Leader" of the Faction. This can of course change later, easily done through a "Prince" narrative event that could let us appoint someone who's particularly enthusiastic or present during the Campaign stuff. Gameplay influencing mechanics-however minor-shouldn't really be hard to think up either. Maybe the ability to move their capital to anywhere joined to the original capital by land on the map, which means anyone conquering them will have to encircle them (lorewise it makes sense bc "most influential colonies rule")

Again, just a draft of the sort of thing we can slap together.
Plans for the other 2 factions will be:
-The Grand Republic (France), a simple invasion against the Crown Colonies which warped into an attempt to turn the Island into a stronghold of the Revolution.
-A Russian faction that will server as the meme faction. Not sure on a name yet but could originate from Russian POWs crash landing, or anything weird like that. Meant to serve as the wildcard, while the other two will be for serious-business fags.

Scandypandy

Here's the moop. Rough borders of nations shown in second image. Russia's faction will be the bottom one (yes, the dick shape.)

download.thumb.png.a09e0cd79e9ce7f5a9fa648133cbe3fd.png

map2.thumb.jpg.920146632e6267eb024f1ddadbb9abc4.jpg

Scandypandy

Will be announcing Crown Colonies in the development thread which I'm about to make. If nobody has any other ideas for a UK faction that are fleshed out, I'll go ahead.

Wouldn't the left team have a higher chance of being teamed up against? the south has options to go to the east. They got more territory to attack the west and teaming up with the east because they're harder to reach. It might might get unbalanced.

20180113_094009.jpg

Scandypandy

So, all three factions are announced.
The next big hump is the map and how it'll be handled.

We need to figure out a balanced way for players to have a degree of control over it without it becoming over too quickly.

I'd suggest perhaps designated nights for "campaign" battles?